Turkey Business PracticeIt is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Turkey:
- A handshake is the accepted custom at the start of a business meeting.
- Turkish dress is similar to the accepted mode of dress in Western Europe.
For men - a suit, tie and white shirt.
For women - a skirt of conservative length is recommended.
- Women should refrain from using perfume, lipsticks and ostentatious jewelry.
- On meeting people for the first time, it is customary to use their first name.
- Most business people have a good command of English.
- Acceptable gifts for business meetings are items for the office, quality pens (including pens with your company logo).
- Do not offer wine as a gift under any circumstances.
Whiskey, on the other hand, is very acceptable.
- On receiving an invitation to a home, luxury chocolate, a scarf for the hostess or flowers is a welcome gift.
- The exchange of business cards is common practice.
- Women should wear long sleeves and a long skirt on visiting a mosque and a hat or scarf as a head covering.
- The public display of affection between people is considered improper.
- Try to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.