Ireland Business PracticeIt is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Ireland:
- The Irish are a very friendly people.
Expect less formal behavior than is the custom in Western Europe.
- A warm handshake on first meeting is an accepted custom.
- The pubs are the place where the Irish are particularly outgoing and sociable.
A glass of Guinness at a local pub is a must.
- It is quite customary to order a round of drinks in a pub.
- Smoking is illegal in any workplace.
- Dress for men is less formal than the normal dress in the West; on the other hand, women are expected to be well and fashionably dressed.
- Try not to give short answers; conversation is considered a social accomplishment.
- When a business person addresses you by your surname, answer him in a similar manner.
Later on, when your relationship is on a stronger footing, it is reasonable to assume that he will call you by your first name.
- It is important to arrive punctually for business meetings.
- Try to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.