It is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Cyprus:
- Try to arrive for a business appointment promptly at the time specified.
- A brief but firm handshake is the accepted custom at the start and end of a meeting.
If you have to leave in the middle of the meeting, leave with a handshake.
- At a meeting in rural areas, you can look forward to a warm reception.
- Cypriot dress is casual. Nevertheless be careful to dress properly for a business meeting.
For men - a suit and tie. For women - dignified dress.
- At a business meeting in Cyprus, remain in this dress even if the weather on the island is relatively warm.
Don't remove a jacket or tie before your colleague does so.
- It is important to refer with respect to the religious beliefs of the local residents.
- All business people have a good command of English.
- Acceptable gifts for business meetings are items for the office, quality pens (including pens with your company logo).
- On receiving an invitation to a home, chocolates or flowers are a welcome gift.
- Refusing an offer to drink Greek coffee is considered impolite.
- Try to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.