It is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Greece:
- Dress in Greece is formal, even in the hot summer months.
- It is the custom to use a person's surname rather than a first name on first meeting until a longer acquaintanceship has been established.
- Some business people have a good command of English and others of French.
- Greek people have warm and friendly natures.
- Acceptable gifts for business meetings are items for the office, quality pens (including pens with your company logo) as well as specially selected wines.
- It is recommended to start a business meeting with polite conversation of a general nature, over a cup of coffee or with soft drinks.
Only after that, should the conversation turn to business matters.
- A handshake is customary at the beginning and end of a meeting, sometimes after a first meeting you may receive an embrace.
- On receiving an invitation to a home, luxury chocolate, a scarf for the hostess or flowers is a welcome gift.
- The Greeks are not heavy consumers of alcohol but smoking is extremely prevalent.
Do not be surprised to be offered cigarettes during a business meeting.
- Business cards in English and Greek are customary.
- You are recommended to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.