Slovakia Business PracticeIt is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Slovakia:
- Slovak dress and behavior are a combination of the accepted practices in the United States and Eastern Europe.
- It is not the custom to use a person's first name on first addressing them. Instead, use a title such as: Doctor, Engineer, etc.
- Some business people have a good command of English. Nevertheless, German is better understood. Occasionally effective conduct of a meeting may make use of the services of an interpreter to translate into English.
- Acceptable gifts for business meetings are items for the office, quality pens (including pens with your company logo) as well as specially selected wines.
- It is recommended to start a business meeting with polite conversation of a general nature, accompanied by a toast with a local alcoholic drink. Only after that, should the conversation turn to business matters.
- On receiving an invitation to a home, luxury chocolate, a scarf for the hostess or flowers is a welcome gift.
- Business decisions, including minor ones, are occasionally taken by a limited number of managers or even by one person acting alone.
- There are difficulties in obtaining an answer to a fax or email. It is advisable to back up faxes and emails with a letter that confirms any intended meeting. Similarly, after the meeting, it is advisable to send a letter with a summary of the main points raised at the meeting.
- Try to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.