It is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Latvia:
- In general, business behavior in Latvia is similar to that in the rest of Europe; a handshake before and after a meeting is customary and acceptable.
Care should be taken to shake hands with everyone present at a meeting.
A kiss on the cheek and a slight embrace is acceptable at a meeting of acquaintances.
- Immediately after shaking hands at the start of the meeting, it is customary to exchange business cards.
See that you have a sufficient quantity of business cards.
- The acceptable dress for a business meeting is a business suit for men.
Women are recommended to dress fashionably, but not loudly.
- Most business people in large cities in Latvia, particularly those under the age of 30, have a good command of English.
Nevertheless, a few words in Latvian will turn the meeting into a warm and friendly encounter.
The presence of a translator will help a business meeting to progress.
- Latvians tend to be cold and formal at a first meeting.
This impression is changed very quickly once a suitable acquaintanceship has been made.
- Acceptable gifts for business meetings are items for the office, pens (including pens with your company logo) as well as selected wines.
- It takes some time to be able to fix a meeting.
Remember that frequently, senior executives acquired their experience in the former Communist regime.
Confirm in advance, before the meeting, by fax or letter, that the meeting will take place.
- You are recommended to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
- The Latvians are very proud of Latvian culture.
Jokes that are detrimental to Latvian culture should be avoided.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.