It is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Italy:
- The Italians are very fashion conscious.
- Men are recommended to wear a suit and tie at business meetings. In restaurants, a jacket is recommended.
Women are advised to wear simple or elegant clothes.
- A handshake is the accepted custom at the start and end of a meeting.
- When visiting 'holy places' men should wear long pants and for women - long pants or a skirt.
- Most large businesses can conduct their correspondence in English. Nevertheless, a courteous letter in Italian will gain more serious attention.
- Gifts - refrain from giving gifts that carry your business logo.
- Do not wrap gifts in the colors yellow or black as these are symbolic of funerals. Similarly, gift-wrapping in purple signifies bad luck.
- It is important to arrive for business meetings on time. Do not be surprised if your Italian colleague is late for the meeting.
- Do not use first names until the acquaintanceship is on a more personal basis.
- At meetings with university graduates, use the title 'Dottore' for a man and 'Dottoressa' for a woman.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.