It is worth paying attention to the following points at business meetings in Russia:
- A firm handshake with several light shakes is an accepted custom on a meeting between men.
When one of the parties to the meeting is a woman, a short handshake is sufficient.
- Russian dress is very simple, a dark suit for men with a tie and white shirt, and the same for women, that is, a dark suit with a light colored shirt.
Women are recommended to wear a skirt of conservative length.
- Women are recommended to avoid perfumes, lipstick and ostentatious jewelry.
- It is customary to address a woman by her surname and not by her first name.
- Most business people have a good command of English.
- Acceptable gifts for business meetings are items for the office, quality pens (including pens with your company logo) and selected wines.
- Do not under any circumstances present vodka as a gift as this is interpreted as a reflection on the poor quality of the contents of your host's drinks cabinet.
- On receiving an invitation to a home, luxury chocolates or a scarf for the hostess would be a welcome gift - or an uneven number of flowers are acceptable on visiting a house of mourning.
- Do not give red flowers as these are a symbol of love and romance.
- When visiting a Russian Orthodox Church, women should wear a long - sleeved blouse and long skirt.
A head covering such as a hat or scarf should be worn.
- Do not hang your jacket or coat on the back of a chair in a restaurant as this is considered insulting.
Take care to hang your jacket or coat in the cloakroom that is to be found in all restaurants and offices.
- It is considered impolite to stand with one's hands in one's pockets in a public place.
- Try to avoid business meetings in the months of July and August or around the times of national holidays.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.