The following forms of income are exempt from tax if they are received by an individual:
Comment: When an employee receives a benefit that is not paid in cash, the obligation to pay tax falls on the person providing the benefit.
- Food vouchers to an employee, up to a limit.
- Gains from Hungarian or EU stock exchanges.
- Scholarships, subject to certain conditions
- Gain from sale of real estate held for 15 years or more.
Additional tax exempt income:
- Dividend received by a Hungarian company are generally tax exempt.
- Capital gain from sale of investment subject to participation exemption rules.