Some forms of an individual's income are tax-exempt, subject to the conditions specified in Chinese law, as follows:
- A standard monthly exemption of CNY 5,000 on income from a salary for a foreign resident, same for a Chinese resident too.
- Compensation from an insurance company.
- Severance pay in accordance with the provisions of Chinese law.
- Subsidies that are lawfully received.
- A pension from work, and allowances for survivors.
- Prizes granted by the Government for sporting, educational and other achievements.
- Income from interest from bank deposits and government bonds.
- Capital gains from sale of private dwelling held for 5 years.
- Dividend received by a resident company from another resident company.