Value Added Tax in Slovakia
- The standard V.A.T. rate in Slovakia is 20%.
There is also a reduced VAT rate of 10%, mainly for medicines and books.
- VAT is charged on assets and services consumed in Slovakia as well as on imports into Slovakia.
- In many cases, exports are not subject to value added tax.
Similarly financial and banking services, insurance, educational services and the rental of real estate, other than new properties, are exempt from VAT.
- The taxpayer, whose turnover exceeds EU 49,790 over a period of last 12 months is obliged to register for VAT with the tax authorities.
- Foreign entity which offers mail orders in Slovakia is obliged to register with the tax authorities if the total value of goods shipped to Slovakia exceeds the amount of EUR 35,000 in a calendar year.
- The tax period for VAT is a calendar quarter, if the taxpayer reached the turnover lower than EUR100,000.
If the turnover exceeds this amount, the tax period is calendar month.
- The VAT tax return should be filed and the tax should be paid by the 25th day following the reporting period.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.