Slovenia Encouragement LawsSlovenia attempts to encourage investments from foreign residents.
The following are among the reasons that foreign investors are attracted to Slovenia:
- Political and economic stability.
- Membership of important bodies such as - IMF and membership of the EU from May 2004.
- An excellent location in the heart of one of the most developed regions of Europe for exploitation of strong commercial ties with Western Europe and the Balkan States.
- A well developed transport infrastructure both on dry land and through the sea port at Koper.
- A proficient and skilled labor force. Some 16% of the Slovenian labor force has had an academic education. 62% of the population has had at least a high school education. The level of English and German is high
- Accommodating tax regulations for companies - as at 2008, corporation tax is 28%.
- The aggregate sum of foreign residents' investments at the end of 2006 totaled some EURO 6.77 billion.
- The foreign direct investment in Slovenia was mainly in the finance and services sector-20%, in the chemicals sector-16% and in the retail sector-14%.
Slovenia Restrictions on Foreign Ownership
- As a general rule, there are few restrictions on foreign investments in Slovenia. Nevertheless, there is a restriction on holdings in specific sectors, mainly in communications, air transport and insurance.
Benefits for Foreign Investors in SloveniaIn Slovenia, a company that invests in equipment may, subject to the regulations, depreciate the amount invested against up to 20% of the taxable income.
Foreign companies investing in Slovenia in industries, strategic services and R&D that create new places of work are eligible for a grant on the investment.
Receipt of the grant is conditional on the fact that the minimum investment is EUR 1 million, and the number of new jobs is between 10 - 50 (10 employees in R & D ).
The grant for overseas investors in Slovenia is up to 40% of the sum invested.
Additional information may be found on the TIPO site: www.investslovenia.org.