Portugal Company formation and Registration
Types of CorporationsIn Portugal, the following are accepted forms of incorporation:
A public company (with the suffix S.A.)
-At least 5 shareholders are needed to set up the company. The shareholders may be individuals or companies.
-The minimum share capital is Euro 50,000.
-The owners of the company are only liable for the amount of capital invested.
-Companies of the above sort are popular for large business.
Private limited companies (with the suffix LDA)
- This is the most popular type of company for small companies. At least two shareholders are needed to form a company.
- The minimum share capital is Euro 5,000.
- The liability of the owners of the company is limited to the sum of capital invested.
A company with a single shareholder (with the suffix EIRL)
- The company is comprised of one single shareholder.
- Liability is only for the assets of the company and not that of the shareholder personally.
- An individual may open only one company of this sort in Portugal.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.