Ireland Inheritance tax/gift tax
- Tax is payable on an inheritance in Ireland, and on gifts. The tax is known as CAT (Capital Acquisition Tax).
- When either the donor of the gift/the testator or the recipient of the gift/the heir is an Irish resident, the tax is also applicable to overseas assets.
- The tax is payable at 33% over and above the amount of the exemption.
- The amount of the exemption varies between EUR 16,750 and EUR 25,000.
- Generally speaking, the closer the relationship between the donor/testator and the recipient/heir, such as in the case of a spouse, son or daughter, the greater sum is exempt.
Ireland Stamp DutyStamp duty of 1%-2% is payable on transfer of residential property.
The maximum rate of tax for non-residential property is 7.5%.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.