Ukraine Tax 2021Last updated, April 2020.
- Residents receiving either income originating from the territory of Ukraine or foreign income.
- Non-residents receiving income originating from the territory of Ukraine.
If the person has a permanent place of residence in Ukraine and another country, the person is deemed to be resident of Ukraine if his centre of vital interests is in Ukraine, or if he stays in Ukraine at least 183 days during the tax year(calendar year).
This is the general rule which is subject to any features provided by the Agreement of avoidance of double taxation.
Personal TaxThe standard personal income tax rate in 2020 is 18%.This rate applies to salary ,self employment and passive income.
|This rate applies to income from the sale of more than one object of real estate property during a calendar year;
In the event of inheritance by the heirs other than the testator's family members of the first degree of kindred.
This rate also applies for dividend income paid by resident companies.
|This rate applies to income received by a taxpayer from the first sale of a house, apartment or room not more than once, during a reporting year if the total area of the object exceeds 100 square meters. The subject to taxation is the part of income proportional to the amount of exceeds||0%|
There is an additional 1.5% military tax which is imposed on personal income.
Capital GainsIn general both companies and individuals pay 18% tax except for certain capital gains defined by law.
Social SecurityEmployers pay 22% on salary income.
Personal Tax Deduction in UkraineA resident taxpayer may claim a deduction from annual taxable income for a limited amount of documented expenses incurred in the reporting year for:
- Secondary professional or higher education of the taxpayer and his family members.
- Donations or charitable contributions to non-profit organizations.
- Cost of paid services with regard to medical treatment of the taxpayer or a member of his family of the first degree of kindred.
Corporate profit taxation in Ukraine Income TaxesUkrainian entities and foreign entities doing business in Ukraine through a permanent establishment are liable for corporate profit tax.
The Corporate Tax Law provides for the taxation of the following persons:
- Legal entities organized under the laws of Ukraine and which carry out business in Ukraine;
- Foreign entities which get a profit from sources in Ukraine (the profit arises from activities performed or property located in Ukraine, in case of dividends, interest, royalties and other passive income, the income is paid by a resident of Ukraine)
- Non-resident legal entities which carry out business activities on the territory of Ukraine through a permanent establishment;
This is a standard rate from the net income for the entities and natural persons - private entrepreneurs.
Insurance companies pay reduced corporate tax rate subject to terms.
Gambling activities are taxed at 10% to 30% corporate tax.
Small legal entities may choose the simplified taxation paying up to 5% of their turnover.
There are tax incentives for companies performing approved investments in priority sectors as defined by law.
Deduction of Tax at SourcePayments to non-residents are subject to tax withholding rates as follows:
- Dividend - 15%
- Interest - 5%/15%
- Royalties - 15%
- Technical Services – 15%
(previous 2008 article by www.interlegal.com.ua)
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.