Portugal Real Estate Transfer Tax
- A real estate transfer tax is payable in Portugal on the transfer of real estate.
- There is an exemption up to a limit if the transfer concerns residential real estate.
- The basic rate of tax on urban real estate is 6.5% up to 7.5% maximum.
Non-urban real estate transfers are taxable at 5%.
- When the buyer lives in a low tax jurisdiction the tax rate is 10%.
Portugal Property TaxReal estate used as main residence and valued above EUR 1 million is subject to 1% tax.
Portugal Inheritance and Gifts Tax
- Portugal Inheritance and gift tax was abolished on 1.1.2004, when relating to close relatives, parents, spouses and children.
- The tax for non close recipients and inheritors was replaced by 10% stamp duty.
Note: The information in this site is for general guidance only. Users of this site are advised to take professional advice before taking practical tax decisions.
Please read our terms of service before entering this site.