Visas fo Latvia
- Overseas residents must present valid documents on entering Latvia; including a passport and an entry visa.
- No visa is required from residents of the EU who enter Latvia for less than 90 days in a 6-month period.
There are special bi-lateral agreements with another 39 countries.
Latvia VisasThe main classes of visas in Latvia:
- An airport visa - permits a stay in the area of a Latvian airport without entry into Latvia.
- A transit visa - this obligates the bearer of the visa to leave Latvia within 72 hours of the date of entry.
The visa is valid for up to 6 months.
- Short term visa - allows a stay of up to 90 days.
The visa is valid for a maximum of one year from the date of issue.
- Long term visa - allows a number of entries, up to 90 days on each occasion.
The visa is valid for a maximum of 12 months.
Latvia Residential Permits
- A residential permit enables foreigners to live or work in Latvia.
- The permit is required for residency in Latvia of over 90 days within a period of six months from date of entry into Latvia.
- The permit is also required to manage or open a business in Latvia.
Latvia Work Permits
- The permit is required for a foreign resident who wishes to work in Latvia.
- An employment contract with a business registered in Latvia must be presented.
- A work permit must be presented before starting an employment contract.
- A "residential permit" or special visa must be attached to the employment contract.
- In the following case, a work permit is unnecessary:
- Managers, who are not authorized signatories, of a company that represents a foreign firm.
- Shareholders, who are not authorized signatories, of companies registered in Latvia.
- Owners of permanent residential permits.
Further information: www.ocma.lv